How can a programmable thermostat lower my energy costs?
Programmable thermostats allow you to customize your temperature settings based on your needs and lifestyle. With programmable thermostats, you can create custom schedules so your home is comfortable when you need it to be. When you’re not running your heating or cooling system excessively, the energy savings are enormous.
What is a geothermal heat pump?
A geothermal heat pump works as a home heating or cooling system by pumping heat into or from the ground. Using the steady moderate temperatures found inside the earth helps to improve energy-efficiency and lowers the costs of heating or cooling your home.
How do heat pumps work?
Heat pumps are great for climates with moderate heating and cooling needs and offer energy-efficient alternatives to more traditional heating and cooling methods. Heat pumps work by transferring heat from one location to another rather than generating heat. During the winter, heat pumps move heat from the cool outdoors into your home and in the summer months heat is transferred from inside your home, outside.
What are the benefits of using a heat pump?
Heat pumps are great because they can warm or cool your home depending on the time of year.
Benefits of using a heat pump to warm or cool your home include:
- Year-round cost savings
- Enhanced humidity and temperature control
- Provides even temperatures throughout your home
- Uses less energy to heat or cool your home
- Not dependent on fossil fuels which leads to price fluctuations
How can we be sure our furnace is operating safely?
The best thing to do is schedule maintenance before the heating season is in full swing. But, if you’re not ready for that, there are a few steps you can take:
- Before you do anything, inspect your unit to make sure nothing flammable has been stored next to the furnace over the summer.
- Be sure to run your heater before you need it to eliminate the chance it won’t work on the first cold night you turn it on.
- Dirty air filters restrict air flow and reduce efficiency – sometimes even damaging your unit. Change the filters regularly.
- Check all access panels to be sure they are secure, with screws in place.
How do air ducts affect system performance?
The air duct system is an important component to your overall home heating and cooling system. Ducts control the distribution of air throughout your home. Poor duct performance contributes to uneven distribution of air and inconsistent levels of comfort from room to room. Air Ducts that are damaged, improperly installed, the wrong size or leaking can diminish the ability your system has to perform at it’s best.
When I turned on my furnace, it smelled bad. Is it Carbon Monoxide? Should I be worried?
It is normal to notice an odor because dust collects on the heat exchanger over the summer, and when you turn on the furnace, it is burning off the dust. When you run the furnace for he first time, you can open your windows to air out the odor. Carbon monoxide is odorless so you have nothing to be worried about there. To be safe, it is always a good idea to use a carbon monoxide detector. It’s best to schedule maintenance before the heating season kicks into full gear, so you know your furnace is running efficiently and safely.
How can zoning improve my comfort?
By zoning your home, you have more control over different areas of your home without the need to regularly adjust the thermostat to reach a desired level of comfort. Rooms inside your home, which are traditionally warmer than others, are easy to control without placing extra strain on your HVAC system.
What is zoning?
Zoning makes your home more comfortable and helps you save on energy costs. Using multiple thermostats, your home is divided into independent zones. The climate of each zone is then independently controlled depending on your desired level of comfort. Common examples of zoning include separating the upstairs climate from the downstairs in a two-story home, or establishing a special zone for sleeping and living areas.
Why should I have my system regularly maintained?
Regular maintenance is vital to the performance and lifespan of your heating or cooling system.
Benefits of regular maintenance include:
- Help system perform efficiently and cut down on high energy costs
- Prolong the life-span of the equipment Help eliminate the risk of unexpected and costly repairs
- Maintain manufacturer’s warranty
- Ensure system is running without risk to your health or safety